Thursday, March 8, 2012

Family Prayer

I am currently taking a Doctrines of the Gospel class and we talked about the importance of family this week. Heber J. Grant said, "I am convinced that one of the greatest things that can come into any home to cause the boys and girls in that home to grow up in a love of God, and in a love of the gospel of Jesus Christ, is to have family prayer... that they may partake of the spirit of prayer, and be in harmony, be in tune, to have the radio, so to speak, in communication with the spirit of the Lord."This quote helped me to connect the discussion I had about counsels in my family relations class. We discussed how the quorum of the 12 and the first presidency conduct their weekly meetings. First is to note that they have them weekly, on a regular basis, to show the show the lord their submission to Him in all things. Second they hold the counsel in a sacred place, the temple. They begin by telling each other how much they love and appreciate each other. How great is that?! I think that each of us can help the spirit accompany us throughout our days more by telling others how much they mean to us, especially in a family. the second thing they do is open with a prayer. Then they discuss openly with the same goal in mind, to obtain the Lord's will and the truths the Lord would have them know. Because the goal is the same, the spirit can direct them and take perceptions and help make ideas and opinions parallel. Then they pray to close the meeting and then eat chocolate or pie together. All these things help unite each of them and increase the love they feel. Even eating pie helps them to bond. However, only one of the things that they do happens twice and that is prayer. By praying, they invite the spirit and ask for guidance.
So my question is what is it about prayer that gives a uniting factor to the mix? I know that when I have known the Lord's will for me and followed that revelation, I have never felt so confident in my pursuits and with myself. Knowing that my Heavenly Father is pleased with me and the paths that I have taken helps me to feel loved. It is also so much easier to love others because of the confidence that I have been given. My unity with the Godhead is increased by my obedience to follow the personal revelation that I receive (as well as revealed commandments to the prophets). Imagine the increase of family unity when prayer is happening on a consistent basis and in a sacred place (our homes). Prayer can bring unity with the savior and each other when children understand where the revelation and blessings are coming from. I am so grateful that I was able to find these connections because of the increased testimony I have of prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment