Friday, March 2, 2012

Responses Matter

This week in my family relations class we have talked about family crisis and the kinds that can effect a family. Looking into my own life, I have discovered the love of Christ for my family. I have a new gratitude for my parents and the way they show us to deal with things by their example. Internal and external problems can occur and depending upon how you react can have very real consequences. In the church, we are told to look to Christ for comfort in times of crisis, at least I have. What brilliant advice because by doing so I think we are simultaneously loving our family and bringing them closer rather than isolating ourselves. I am thankful that my parents are great examples of that.
Depending on the response that we give to crisis can either reduce trauma or increase it tremendously. For instance, When a child falls down and look around to see others reactions they either see whether its all okay or not. If they see that people are concerned and fearful then they will cry. However, when there is faith instead of fear there are no tears and they continue playing. While this analogy may be flawed it is a true reality that we often react in accordance with others (often leaders) reactions. If my dad can't hold it together after his mom passes away then I know that it isn't okay and things wont be the same now. Even though I have a testimony of the atonement and plan of salvation, my day to day life may have a new sense of fear. When we realize that others attitudes effect our reactions we can choose to move in a new direction, possibly a different one.
After this chapter I have come to realize that my parents have made a great example for reactions to death. We move on and move closer together as a family. I am grateful that there is sympathy and reverence for the past family members but a knowledge that they are the past. I love knowing that people who have past on can still be with us but also that our lives do not need to live where their earthy lives have ended. We need to move to the next chapters of our lives and we cannot do that if we keep rereading the past chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment