Monday, February 6, 2012

Do people actually know better?

In my family relations class this last week we talked mostly about the roles of gender and the influences from the outside upon someone's interpretations of their role. This last week has been the most entertaining week so far. I got a few great laughs in but also came to the realization through this class and other the importance of obedience. I am so grateful that I know the plan of happiness and the role that the atonement can take in my life. I am blessed beyond measure. My knowledge of god's will for my life individually brings a sense of right and wrong. That sense translates into my actions, most importantly my level of obedience. Through obedience to god's commandments, a person can gain joy, joy that doesn't end but is eternal, true happiness. What a blessing it is to have the gospel in my life.

While this is great and important and applicable to me, I wonder, is the normal, uneducated man still able to find joy through changing and becoming better? Do all men have the opportunity to find the direction that God would have them go? This may be harsh and not politically correct but do people who have same-sex attraction know better than to act on those thoughts or impulses?

In my Doctrines of the Gospel class this semester, I was taught about the nature and role of the light of Christ. Everyone has the Light of Christ and therefore can know right from wrong. The light of Christ never completely withdraws from a person (I wish I had my book with me to give references to this doctrine) or else life would cease in him. We ALL have a conscious. I realize that with out being taught the truths during this life it would be hard and nearly impossible to govern ourselves fully.  However, the  idea of having no direction and not knowing better is without substance. There are false assumptions and weak arguments with this satanic doctrine. By having the Light of Christ we are all, to some degree, responsible for the choices we make.

I am so grateful that I have the atonement and the perfect example of christ to guide me. I am grateful that I have knowledge of the atonement that leads me to a healing after the change, or repentance that I partake in. Instead of just changing and become better, my sins are forgiven and I become clean from my past, healed from my past. That is the ultimate blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment